Wednesday, September 26, 2007

a blurb about holiness standards - Part one

This is the first of a mini-blogging-series on holiness I'm working on. Enjoy!

I believe in having holiness standards. I believe that our outside appearance should reflect Christ. However, I also believe that they are maturity issues. In other words, our external appearance is to reflect an inward relationship and experience with God - one that comes only with development. If people do not have that inward relationship than we cannot expect them to have a strong external witness. Because of my presupposition towards these teachings I find it perplexing that so many are so quick to judge others based soley on their appearance. Pastors and churches are called "weak" or the dreaded UPer label "liberal." The fact of the matter is none of us are perfect, we're all flawed, we all have our weaknesses. Some internal, some external. But instead of pointing fingers, I would rather have Paul's outlook on life:

Phil 3:12-13Not that I have already attained , or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.
NKJV

In other words, I'm not perfect yet. Therefore, my main goal in life should be to work on me.

Jesus also said
Matthew 7:1-5
"Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove the speck from your eye'; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. NKJV

I think the application of this passage for our topic is this: It's a bigger sin to judge/gossip about/alienate a fellow saint, pastor and/or church based soley on standards than that individual or groups lack of teaching and maturity.

Don't get me wrong, standards are important! But let's remember why we're teaching, believing and practicing external witnesses. They are a reflection of a work Christ is doing IN us.

Next time we will examine the importance of holiness standards in light of popular culture's sexualisation of youth.

God bless,
adam

No comments: